- Weekend Read: Flex generation
A new generation of flexible, lightweight modules is entering the market. With back contact technology offering its own form of design flexibility and robustness, the new products could crack a hard-to-address market segment.
- 1 day ago 3 Jun 23, 5:00am -
- Polysilicon prices plunge worldwide on bearish market sentiment
In a new weekly update for pv magazine, OPIS, a Dow Jones company, provides a quick look at the main price trends in the global PV industry.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 4:38pm -
- Chinese PV Industry Brief: TCL Zhonghuan reduces wafer prices, TW Solar announces giant solar plant
TCL Zhonghuan reduced its wafer prices by between 16% and 24%, while its competitor Gokin Solar is raising funds to build additional ingot and wafer capacity. Meanwhile, TW Solar announced a 3.4 GW solar plant across 52 fishponds.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 4:30pm -
- Ecoflow unveils new balcony PV system
US-based Ecoflow has announced the commercialization of a balcony solar device with a portable power station for residential applications.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 4:00pm -
- India installs 485 MW of rooftop solar capacity in Q1
India reached 9.3 GW of cumulative installed rooftop solar capacity on March 31, 2023, following the addition of 485 MW in the first quarter of 2023.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 3:15pm -
- Australian utility plans to enter solar panel recycling, reuse business
Australian energy major AGL is pushing ahead with plans to transform its Loy Yang power station site into a clean energy industrial hub in the Australian state of Victoria. It has signed a deal with Solar Recovery Corp. (SRC) to explore the feasibility of establishing a PV panel recycling facility a…
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 2:30pm -
- Evonik unveils new wafer-cutting solutions
German chemicals producer Evonik claims that its wetting and defoaming solutions improve the speed and quality of wafer cutting, despite the industry's shift toward harder, more brittle materials.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 1:45pm -
- Assessing effectiveness of icephobic coatings on PV systems located at high latitudes
A Norwegian research team assessed the snow deposits on photovoltaic panels and the consequent energy losses via the PVsyst software and utilized the so-called Marion’s algorithm (MA) for evaluating the sliding coefficient. It found the coatings may effectively reduce energy losses caused by snow…
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 1:03pm -
- Germany surpasses 3 million PV systems as demand soars
Germany has achieved a significant milestone, with more than 3 million PV systems now in operation, according to new data from German PV association BSW-Solar. It said the country's rooftop PV market is experiencing robust demand and the 4 million mark could be surpassed as early as next year.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 1:00pm -
- Sonnen connects heat pumps to virtual power plant in Germany
Sonnen has introduced a new software solution to seamlessly integrate heat pumps into private household energy supplies and enhance grid stability. The company's initial partner is heat pump manufacturer NIBE, but additional partners are expected to join in the future.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 12:15pm -
- Maxeon claims 24.7% efficiency for IBC solar panel
Maxeon said it has achieved a 24.7% efficiency rating for a full-scale Maxeon 7 solar panel using its IBC technology. The US National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) confirmed the result.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 11:48am -
- Tokuyama, OCI plan to build 10,000 MT polysilicon factory in Malaysia
Tokuyama said the new factory should meet increasing demand for polysilicon. OCI already operates a polysilicon manufacturing facility in Malaysia.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 10:49am -
- Solarge launches lightweight PERC modules with low carbon footprint
Dutch solar manufacturer Solarge has unveiled two versions of its lightweight mono-PERC solar panels for rooftop applications. The module have power outputs between 470 W and 520 W and efficiencies ranging from 17.4% to 19.2%.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 10:22am -
- Nickel-zinc battery systems with hydrogen, EV charging
ZincFive is supplying battery systems for Advanced Power & Energy's hydrogen-fueling microgrid and pilot DC fast-charging station in Greenville, Pennsylvania
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 10:15am -
- NGK starts operating sodium-sulfur battery storage for Japanese utility
NGK Insulators has switched on 1 MW/5.8 MWh of NAS batteries under a demonstration project to assess the performance of stationary storage at a site operated by Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEPCO).
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 9:30am -
- Brazil hits 30 GW milestone
The country has added 15 GW of new PV capacity since January 2022. In 2023 alone, it deployed 4.4 GW of new solar power, of which 3.15 GW comes from distributed generation and 1,24 GW from utility scale PV.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 8:55am -
- Mitsubishi to deploy heat pumps, solar, storage in remote island project
Mitsubishi Electric has launched a demonstration experiment to assess the efficiency of heat pumps in demand-response control on the Aran Islands in Ireland and San Pietro Island in Italy. As part of the European Union's REACT project, solar, wind, and storage solutions will also be implemented to e…
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 8:45am -
- PV Cycle recommends excluding PV panels from WEEE directive
PV Cycle has published a position paper stating that PV panels do not fit with the European Union's Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) directive. It is calling for the implementation of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) legislation for all renewable energy products and equipment i…
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 8:00am -
- Binary organic solar cell achieves 19,31% efficiency
Hong Kong Polytechnic University researchers have developed a binary organic solar cell (OSC) with a record power conversion efficiency of 19.31%. They invented a non-monotonic intermediate state manipulation strategy to lower the non-radiative recombination loss and boost efficiency.
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 7:15am -
- New York and Ontario steal California’s sunshine, as high pressure systems affect May irradiance
In a new weekly update for pv magazine, Solcast, a DNV company, presents the solar irradiance data it collected for North America in May. New York registered a new record on May 18th, when solar power met 20% of the state power demand, while Los Angeles and San Diego rooftops actually received less…
- 2 days ago 2 Jun 23, 6:22am -
- First attempt to repair glass-damaged solar panels
A Dutch research group has used a series of techniques from the automotive industry to develop a novel methodology to repair glass in double-glass solar panels. Their experimental work represents the step towards transforming glass-damaged solar panels from waste into valuable products.
- 3 days ago 1 Jun 23, 4:20pm -
- Avancis achieves 20.3% efficiency in CIGS solar panel
Avancis has set a new world record for a copper, indium, gallium, and selenium (CIGS) solar panel with an integrated series connection of 30 cm x 30 cm, achieving an efficiency of 20.3%. The German manufacturer's accomplishment has been validated by the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- 3 days ago 1 Jun 23, 3:15pm -
- German developer moves forward with minigrid project in Senegal
Germany's development bank, KfW, is financing a new minigrid project in Senegal with a $138.8 million loan.
- 3 days ago 1 Jun 23, 3:00pm -
- India to add 2 GW of hybrid wind-solar, 16 GW of PV in 2023
India installed 11.4 GW of utility-scale solar capacity in 2022 and 1.9 GW of rooftop PV, for a total of 13.3 GW.
- 3 days ago 1 Jun 23, 2:30pm -
- Improving ground-mounted solar power plant performance via orbiting reflectors
Scientists in the United Kingdom have proposed using orbiting solar reflectors to enhance the electricity yield of terrestrial solar power plants. They claim this new technology may be particularly beneficial for improving generation at dusk and dawn, when irradiance is lower.
- 3 days ago 1 Jun 23, 2:02pm -